Sunday, 25 May 2014


The Chocolate Factory and the Stereotype
Charlie and the chocolate factory is a very nice book and very well filmed also. Johnny Depp has once again weaved his magic as Willy Wonka. All said and done, but it still leaves a sting, at least in my heart and mind.

Recently, I was watching the movie with kids and noticed that the mindset of westerners regarding Indians is not very appreciable. The Indian Maharaja and His Maharani are depicted as dark skinned!!!!

Why we Indians are always imagined be dark – complexioned? What is it with dark complexion or brown complexion? Is it ugly? Why do we respect APJ Abdul Kalam? Why is Naomi Campbell the highest paid model in the world?

Why Westerners are still trapped in this stereotype?

I will not answer these. I leave it to the readers to answer this question.

No comments:

Post a Comment